We are the 99 percent. Are we?


Though appealing the slogan lacks honesty and sounds unfair.

OECD Countries Total Population = 1.220.992.000*

World Total Population = 6.928.198.253**

(World Total Population / OECD Countries Total Population) * 100 = 17,62%

Which is very different from 99%. Despite the lack of economic and social justice we experience in our home countries people must keep in mind what are we fighting for: we are the 18% lucky enough to live in the developed world and we don’t want to put ourselves in the other 82% shoes. And if we’re not fighting for them, we probably should keep their numbers out of this. This recent contestation phenomenon is mostly a western world movement as people are ultimately fighting to improve their own life conditions and against the imposed austerity; more or less exarcebated patriotic arguments more than common are the rule. We don’t want to belong to the 99%, we are not the 99%.

* Data extracted on 17 October 2011 from OECD.stat

** Figures for July 2011; Data extracted on 17 October 2011 from CIA – The World Factbook

Advertisements

One response to “We are the 99 percent. Are we?

  1. Pingback: We are the 99 percent. Are we? (Part 2) | theweatherforecaster

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s